The State Age Squad program provided the stepping stone between the satellite based programs and the age group (Armstrong, State Youth and National Age Development) programs.
The State Age squad is designed to assist athletes towards achieving State qualifying times in an environment that builds upon the competitive technique and skills developed in the Hanson and Junior squads. In addition to this, participants will also begin to develop their endurance and speed endurance capabilities in preparation for successful transition into higher level squads.
Swimmers in State Age will primarily be between 10 and 13 years of age with a proven track record of participation in competitive swimming.
Swimmers initially commence training at 4 sessions per week, before building up to 5 sessions within their first year in the squad at the discretion of the coach, based on age, ability and attitude.
State Age Squads are run within the Wesley and Tintern satellite programs
The below training schedule is for school terms only.
Holiday timetables (when available) can be found HERE
The following proposed training breaks are planned for State Age Squad swimmers at Tintern and Wesley
- Last training session on Saturday 16 December 2017 and training recommences on Monday 15 January 2018.
- Last training session on Thursday 29 March 2018 and training recommences on Monday 16 April 2018.
STATE AGE TINTERN
Coach: Bob Edwards
From Monday 9th October – 16th December 2017, the Tintern State Age squad will train as follows:
Gym + Swim
STATE AGE WESLEY
Coach: Liz Williams
From Monday 9th October – 16th December 2017, the Wesley State Age Squad will train as follows:
Gym + Swim
The training venues are located at:
- Tintern Grammar: Enter school grounds at the corner of Loma and Morinda Streets, East Ringwood
- Wesley College, High St Rd, Mount Waverley
- Aqualink Nunawading, Fraser Place, Forest Hill (Nuna)
State Age squad compete in a number of meets throughout the year including- Club Championships, All Junior competition, District Championships, selected qualifying meets, Victorian Sprint, SC and LC Championships (where qualified).
In term 4 2017 the Tintern and Wesley State Age squads will compete in the following competitions;
CA Tritons LC meet– Sunday 8th October 2017
MLC Aquatic LC meet– Saturday 21st October 2017
Nuna LC meet– Saturday 11th November 2017
Victorian Sprint Championships (where qualified)- 18th & 19th November 2017
Victorian Qualifying meet– 25th & 26th November 2017
Victorian Age Championships (where qualified)- 10th-15th December 2017
Information in regards to squad monthly fees, adjustments to accounts for serious injuries or illness and Year 12 students support can be found at Squad Fees.
Two of the most important aspects of being involved in the Nunawading Swimming Club is good communication between the coach, swimmer and parents and the effective distribution of information to families by the coach and the club.
Regular meetings will be held for each squad where the coach will provide information including competition schedules to parents and swimmers.
If a swimmer or parent has any questions or concerns, they are asked to speak to their coach. If after working through the issue there is still a problem, they are asked to contact the Head Coach, Dean Bryant at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Club has a number of ways of communicating with you.
Nuna News – Every family is required to subscribe to the “Nuna News” email service. Parents and swimmers can subscribe HERE.
Website – Please take the time to read through the information at www.nunawadingswimmingclub.com.
When swimmers represent the club at swim meets, and compete against members from other clubs, it is a requirement to wear our club uniform. more information on uniform requirements and how to order can be found HERE
There are three squads that swimmers in the State Age Squad can progress to:
State Youth Squad – Swimmers who:
- have consistently attended 3-5 sessions per week as prescribed by the coach
- have demonstrated the ability to learn and apply new techniques and skill
- will normally be 13+ years of age
- have consistently attended competitions as prescribed by the coach
- are physically and mentally ready for the move
National Age Development Squad – Swimmers who:
- are invited by the coach of the National Age Development Squad in consultation with the Head Coach
Armstrong Squad – Swimmers who:
- want to continue swimming for general fitness
- are not showing commitment to practice and competition as set out by the coach
- are 13+ years of age and do not have a qualifying time for Victorian Age Championships
Progressions from State Age Squad can take place at any time
Athlete progression will be decided by the relevant coaches within the coaching team.