The Junior Squad program provides opportunities for athletes to strengthen the foundations of competitive technique and skill. The Junior Squad caters for athletes aged primarily 9 to 11 years who have a proven record of participation in competition swimming.
Junior squad sessions continue to focus on the education of competitive technique and race skills in an environment that encourages consistency, learning and enjoyment of racing.
Swimmers initially begin attending 2 sessions per week, before building up to 3 within their first term in the squad. Swimmers may build further to 4 sessions per week at coach discretion based on age, ability and attitude.
Junior squads are run within the Wesley and Tintern satellite programs
The following training schedule is for SCHOOL TERM PERIODS ONLY.
School holiday timetables (when available) can be found HERE
The following proposed training breaks are planned for Junior Squad swimmers at Tintern and Wesley.
- Last training session on Saturday 16 December 2017 and training recommences on Monday 22 January 2018.
- Last training session on Thursday 29 March 2018 and training recommences on Monday 16 April 2018.
TINTERN JUNIOR SQUAD
Coach: Clare MacDonald
From Monday 9th October – Saturday 16th December 2017 onwards, the Tintern Junior Squad will train as follows:
WESLEY JUNIOR SQUAD
Coach: Aaron Whelan
From Monday 9th October – Saturday 16th December 2017, the Wesley Junior Squad will train as follows:
The training venues are located at:
- Wesley College, High St Rd, Mount Waverley
- Tintern Grammar: Enter school grounds at the corner of Loma and Morinda Streets, East Ringwood
Junior squad swimmers compete in a number of meets throughout the year including- Nuna PB Challenges, Club Championships, 7-10 Metro competition, All Junior competition, District Championships and selected qualifying meets.
In term 4 2017 the Wesley and Tintern Junior squads will compete in the following competitions;
Metro East 7-10’s selection trials– Saturday 7th October 2017
MLC Aquatic meet– Saturday 21st October 2017
PB Challenge #1– Friday 27th October 2017
Vic Metro 7-10 finals (qualified only)- Sunday 5th November 2017
PB Challenge #2– Sunday 3rd December 2017
Information in regards to squad monthly fees, adjustments to accounts for serious injuries or illness and Year 12 students support can be found at Squad Fees.
Two of the most important aspects of being involved in the Nunawading Swimming Club is good communication between the coach, swimmer and parents and the effective distribution of information to families by the coach and the club.
Regular meetings will be held for each squad where the coach will provide information to parents and swimmers including competition schedules.
If a swimmer or parent has any questions or concerns, they are asked to speak to their coach. If after working through the issue there is still a problem, they are asked to contact the Head Coach, Dean Bryant at email@example.com
The Club has a number of ways of communicating with you.
Nuna News- Every family is required to subscribe to the “Nuna News” email service. Parents and swimmers can subscribe HERE.
Website – Please take the time to read through the information at www.nunawadingswimmingclub.com.
When swimmers represent the club at swim meets, and compete against members from other clubs, it is a requirement to wear our club uniform. Information on Nunawading uniform and how to order it can be found HERE
There are three squads that swimmers in Junior Squad can progress to:
State Age Squad – swimmers who:
- have consistently attended 3-4 sessions per week as prescribed by the coach
- have demonstrated the ability to learn and apply new technique and skill concepts
- will normally be 10+ years of age
- have consistently attended competitions as prescribed by the coach
- are physically and mentally ready for the increase in commitment
Dolphin levels – swimmers who:
- would like to continue swimming but have not met the criteria above
Armstrong Squad- swimmers who:
- would like to continue swimming but have not met the criteria above and,
- are 12 years of age or older
Progressions from the Junior Squad can take place at any time