Nunawading Swimming Club has one of the most comprehensive swimmer support programs in the Australia.
The Club is based at Aqualink Nunawading in Fraser Place, Forest Hill. The Centre boasts an indoor 8 lane 50m pool and separate teaching and junior squad leisure pool.
The club has a number of unique advantages over other swimming clubs in Australia.
- High Performance Centre
- David Cook Scholarship
- Swimmer Service & Support Program
- Competitions, trips and camps subsidy
- Tertiary Assistance Subsidy
- Adjustments to Squad Accounts
The Club owns its own High Performance Centre at Aqualink Nunawading. The High Performance Centre includes one of the largest free weight gyms utilised by any swim club in Australia, a meeting room as well as a kitchen and administration office.
The David Cook Scholarship was instigated to honour the considerable contribution the late David Cook made to the sport of swimming. David served at Club and District levels for some 25 years and at State and National level for over 15 years. David was a Life member of Nunawading Swimming Club.
This scholarship was first presented in 1990/91 and aims to foster swimmers with proven potential as competitive swimmers who may not have access to the high standard of facilities and coaching that are available at the Nunawading Swimming Club.
Scholarship winners will receive:
- Free swim coaching and gym training (approx. value $2,640 to $3,000)
- Free flights to one Australian Championship event each year (approx. value $400);
- One issue of all standard Nunawading Swimming Club gear including tracksuit, t-shirt, bathers and 2 swim caps (approx value $300).
- Estimated total value $3,700.
Applicants should be:
• Registered swimmers;
• Aged 13 years and over;
• Highly motivated.
They should have displayed:
• Exceptional swimming ability;
• Potential for further development as competitive swimmers.
The period of the Scholarship is for one year. Past winners of the scholarship will not be eligible to re-apply. Nunawading Swimming Club members are not eligible to apply. The application package details the terms and conditions of the scholarship and requests information on the swimmer applying for the scholarship.
To receive an application package or if you have any questions in regards to this scholarship, please contact Gary Barclay at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or phone 03 9878 7055.
More than one scholarship may be awarded.
The Club also supports up to four new swimmer members per year with a ‘Club Support Package’ that includes membership fees for one season or part season and a full set of Club uniform (tracksuit top & pants, polo shirt, shorts and 2 swim caps). Please email Gary Barclay at email@example.com if you are interested in this.
Nunawading Swimming Club is committed to providing all Club swimmers with a comprehensive and well-supported squad program that focuses on the development of each individual swimmer. The Club has significantly developed its coaching and support structures in recent years and these initiatives have led to strong performances at a State, National and International level.
The NSC Board allocates money to be directed towards the Swimmer Support program each season. The funding provides development opportunities identified by the coaching team as being crucial to a swimmer progressing to a high National and VIS level. The program provides support to swimmers, with the goal to provide a pathway of support to each athlete that underpins the support provided by Swimming Victoria and the VIS.
The Club is committed to supporting swimmers to achieve their potential through the provision of quality coaching, a strong squad program and competition opportunities.
Details on the level of support available is outlined below.
1. NSC SQUAD SUPPORT
The support provided by the Club to all swimmers in the Squad programs includes:
- Swim coaching services;
- Physical preparation;
- Facility access to all training pools;
- Pool entry fee at Aqualink Nunawading
- Venue hire for leased pools;
- Coach support at competitions;
Income to fund the base services will be sourced from monthly training fees and a contribution from the Swim School surplus each year.
2. NSC TARGETED SUPPORT
The Club will also provide additional targeted support for identified swimmers throughout the year. These swimmers will be training and competing at a high National level. The support includes:
- Physio screenings;
- Visual Coaching Program account and online diary;
- Strength & Conditioning screenings;
- Development Workshops;
- Support towards camp and competition opportunities.
Please note that funding from NSC Targeted Support cannot be used for attendance at the Australian Age Championships.
3. INDIVIDUAL SUPPORT PROVISIONS
Those athletes awarded a VIS Scholarship shall receive funding towards their training, development and competitions. The High Performance Coach shall work through with each athlete on the best way to utilise the funding throughout the season, while following the VIS guidelines.
Please note that the procedures for claiming the money assigned to you for your development must now be claimed directly by the athlete with the VIS. NSC has been instructed to charge you full squad training fees and competition expenses and you will be able to claim back your allocation from the VIS.
The following is taken from the Nunawading By-laws
- Each year the Nunawading Board shall allocate financial support for athletes, coaches and support staff to attend selected competitions, squad trips and camps as deemed appropriate for the season.
- In addition to the above , the Board will allocate in the budget each year funds to cover the following expenses for the Australian Age Championships – air and ground transport, accommodation, competition passes and meals/per diem costs for the coaches and support staff, relay entry expenses and an item of National uniform or equipment to all team members.
- To be eligible for a club subsidy above, the swimmer must have competed for NSC at the most recent Victorian Long Course Championships in the events determined by their coach and make themselves available for club relays, if selected;
- This By-Law shall apply for all Club members including new Club members;
- If athletes cannot compete in the meet listed above due to a Swimming Australia swim meet or camp, it is assumed that the NSC swimmer would have competed at the meet;
Students completing Year 12 over one year will receive a discount of 30% on their monthly fee from February to November in the Year they complete Year 12.
Students completing Year 12 over two years will receive a discount of 15% on their monthly fee from February to November over the two years.
ADJUSTMENTS TO SQUAD ACCOUNTS
If a swimmer suffers any serious injuries or illnesses, eg fractured limbs or glandular fever, which necessitate a prolonged absence from training of more than 2 weeks, consideration may be given to adjusting the account in the following month.
If your squad account needs adjustment, or there is a problem with the account, please complete the Squad Fee Adjustment form and return it to the NSC Finance Officer, Louise Martin. Louise will work through any adjustments with you.
In general all charges will stand and any corrections will be made in the following month.