The 2017 Victorian Age Championships were held over the weekend at MSAC and what an outstanding meet it was for the Nunawading team.
Over the 3 days of competition the team won 39 gold, 37 silver and 20 bronze medals and finished the meet by comprehensively winning the point score with 2887 points, almost double the points of the second placed team.
While there were many highlights from the meet, some of the standouts included;
- Matthew Temple winning 5 gold medals in the boys 17-18yrs age group (50 free, 100 fly, 100 free, 200 fly, 200 free) and a bronze medal in the 15-18yrs 400 free
- Keilani Trewavis had a great meet winning 4 gold (100 brst, 200 brst, 200 fly and 200IM) in the girls 16yrs age group and 1 bronze medal (400IM 15-18yrs). Keilani’s swims included a Victorian record in the 200 fly (2.13.37), a record that has stood since 2005, and a 10 second win in the 200 breaststroke.
- Molly Batchelor, having returned from the World Junior Championships the day before the start of the meet, showed no signs of fatigue winning the girls 16 years 200 free in a Victorian and All Comers record time of 1.56.81. Molly also claimed gold in the 800 free and 100IM, silver in the 50 and 100 free and bronze in the 100 brst and 200IM
- In the boys 16yrs 100 backstroke, Hamed Afshin-Azar took the gold medal and the All Comers record in a time of 55.02. Hamed also won gold in the 100IM, silver in the 100 & 200 fly and 200 back.
- Other multiple gold medal winners at the Championships were Ryan Bickell (3 gold, 3 silver), Mikayla Smith (3 gold, 2 bronze), Hayden Llewellyn (3 gold, 1 silver), Brendon Smith (3 gold, 1 bronze), Jack Gurrie (2 gold, 2 silver), Julia Hawkins (2 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze), Kayla Costa (2 gold, 2 silver) and Reidel Smith (2 gold, 2 silver).
The Victorian Team, to compete in the 2017 State Teams Championships in Canberra at the end of the month, was selected from results at the meet.
Congratulations to Reidel Smith, Nathan Tran, Hayden Llewellyn, Jack Gurrie, Anna Li, Kayla Costa, Keilani Trewavis, Brendon Smith and Hamed Afshin-Azar.
Nunawading coach Mel Klamt was also selected as a team coach for the meet, well done Mel!
GOLD MEDAL WINNERS
Brendon Smith- 15-18yrs 1500 free, 400 free & 400IM
Hamed Afshin-Azar- 16yrs 100 back & 100 IM
Hayden Llewellyn- 15yrs 100 brst, 100IM & 50 free
Jack Gurrie- 13-14yrs 400IM, 14yrs 200IM
Julia Hawkins- 17-18yrs 50 free & 100 free
Kayla Costa- 15yrs 100 fly & 200 fly
Keilani Trewavis- 16yrs 100 brst, 200 brst, 200 fly, 200IM
Matthew Temple- 17-18yrs 100 fly, 200 fly, 50 free, 100 free & 200 free
Mikayla Smith- 17-18yrs 100 brst, 200 brst & 200 fly
Molly Batchelor- 15-18yrs 800 free, 16yrs 100IM & 200 free
Nathan Tran- 15yrs 100 fly
Nicholas Wu- 14yrs 100 free
Reidel Smith- 14yrs 100 & 200 brst
Ryan Bicknell- 15yrs 200 brst, 200 fly, 200IM
Sam Willgoose- 16yrs 200 back
Sophie Caldwell- 15-18yrs 400 free
Yanning Zhang- 13yrs 200IM
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
Abigail Richards- 14yrs 100 brst & 200 brst
Anna Li- 15yrs 100 brst & 200 brst
Hamed Afshin-Azar- 16yrs 100 fly, 200 fly & 200 back
Hayden Llewellyn- 15yrs 100 free
Jack Gurrie- 14yrs 100 brst & 200 brst
James McBride- 15yrs 200 back, 200 free, 200IM
Joseph Sinclair- 17-18yrs 200 fly
Julia Hawkins- 17-18yrs 100 back & 200 back
Kayla Costa- 15yrs 100 free & 200 free
Molly Batchelor- 16yrs 50 free & 100 free
Nathan Tran- 15yrs 200 fly
Reidel Smith- 13-14yrs 400IM, 14yrs 200 fly
Ryan Bicknell- 15yrs 100 brst, 100 fly & 100IM
Sam Willgoose- 16yrs 100 back
Sophie Caldwell- 15-18yrs 400IM, 800 free, 17-18yrs 100IM, 200 free & 200IM
Yanning Zhang- 13yrs 100 back, 200 back, 100IM & 200 brst
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
Anthony Lin- 15yrs 100 free
Anthony Ngo- 14yrs 200 brst
Brendon Smith- 17-18yrs 200 back
Ella Donoghue- 16yrs 100 free
Elliot Rogerson- 15-18yrs 400IM
Joseph Sinclair- 17-18yrs 100 fly
Julia Hawkins- 17-18yrs 200 free
Keilani Trewavis- 15-18yrs 400IM
Matthew Temple- 15-18yrs 400 free
Melissa Sharp- 13-14yrs 400IM & 14yrs 200 back
Mikayla Smith- 17-18yrs 100IM & 200IM
Molly Batchelor- 16yrs 100 brst & 200IM
Nathan Tran- 15yrs 50 free & 100IM
Yanning Zhang- 13yrs 100 brst
Zac Dendle- 13yrs 100 back & 200 back